Paper diagnostics are devices made of paper and cellulosic materials to recognize and quantify biomolecules and chemicals affecting health. There has been a rapid increase in interest in paper-based diagnostic methods in recent years. This is because the paper is cheap, widely available, easily engineered, biodegradable, combustible, biocompatible, sterilizable, hydrophilic, and easy to functionalize and process into diagnostic devices.
Paper diagnostics work on the principle of a chemical reaction between the coating on the paper and the substance that is to be tested, which produces a visible result that can be used for diagnosis. Due to the clear guidelines regarding the meaning of each visible result, paper diagnostics can even be used by untrained patients. This has resulted in a sturdy demand for paper diagnostics from patients suffering from conditions that require regular self-diagnosis.
The increasing prevalence of infectious diseases and lifestyle-related diseases has resulted in the growth of point-of-care diagnostics. In addition, the rise in the geriatric population globally has also led to growth opportunities for the paper diagnostics market. Rising acceptance of cost-effective and easily available rapid POC diagnostics, especially in the developing economies of the Asia Pacific region, is expected to boost the market growth of paper diagnostics over the forecast period.
The introduction of paper-based sensors and 3D wax printing devices, which are technologically advanced, exhibit potential advantages over conventional diagnostic technologies, such as user-friendliness, disposable nature, and low cost of production, which are factors contributing to the growth of this market.
The global paper diagnostic market is segmented on the following bases:
Global Paper Diagnostic Market Revenue (USD Mn), By Products, 2016–2023
- Dipstick Devices
- Lateral Flow Devices
Global Paper Diagnostic Market Revenue (US$ Mn), By Applications, 2016–2022.
- Clinical Application
- Infectious Diseases
- Liver Disorders
- Food and Beverage Quality Testing
- Environment Testing
Global Paper Diagnostic Market Revenue (US$ Mn), By End-User, 2016–2022.
- Research and academia
Global Paper Diagnostic Market Revenue (US$ Mn), By Geography, 2016–2022.
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of APAC
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
Key players identified for the paper diagnostic market include:
Alere, Inc., Bio-Rad Laboratories, BiognostiX, Navigene Genetic Science Pvt. Ltd., Micro Essential Laboratory, Kenosha C.V. Siemens Healthcare, GVS Filter Technology, Inc., and Others
This report offers the following:
- An overview of the global markets for paper diagnostics
- Market trends assessment for the period 2013-2023, with historical information for 2013 and 2013 and projections through 2023, with respective CAGRs during 2016-2023
- Qualitative assessment tools such as market drivers, challenges, and future prospects
- Market competition scrutiny tools such as market share analysis and fractal map assessment
- Focus on each level of market segmentation based on product approvals, launches, and current and anticipated market dynamics.
- A general overview of the industry structure
- Company profiles highlighting key information about the major players operating in the paper diagnostics market,