According to the World Federation of Hemophilia (WFH), von Willebrand disease (VWD) is the most common type of bleeding disorder. People with VWD have a problem with a protein in their blood called von Willebrand factor (VWF) that helps control bleeding. When a blood vessel is injured, and bleeding occurs, VWF helps cells in the blood, called platelets, mesh together and form a clot to stop the bleeding. According to market experts, around 1% of the world’s population suffers from VWD, but only a few patients are aware of the condition due to very mild symptoms. Research has shown that 9 out of 10 people with VWD have not been diagnosed. Based on the type of VWD, the von Willebrand disease treatment market can be segmented as Type 1 VWD, Type 2 VWD, and Type 3 VWD. The treatments used against von Willebrand disease are Desmopressin (DDAVP), hormone replacement therapy, contraceptives, anti-fibrinolytic or clot-stabilizing drugs, and fibrin sealants.
Recently, the FDA has approved Bendeka (bendamustine) product of Teva and Eagle Pharmaceuticals, a novel drug formulation that can be administered via a shorter, lower-volume infusion – for chronic lymphocytic leukemia and B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It was observed that Teva received US commercialization rights to Bendeka under a deal with Eagle signed in February and planned to launch the therapy during the first quarter of 2016.
The key factor responsible for the growth of von Willebrand disease is increasing public awareness related to VWD, which is fueling the diagnosis rate in North America and Europe. North America was the largest market for von Willebrand disease treatment, followed by Europe. Asia Pacific was anticipated to grow at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period from 2016 to 2022. The key factors assisting the growth of the Asia Pacific von Willebrand disease treatment market are the rising awareness of rare diseases, developing healthcare infrastructure, high disposable income, and government support for novel treatments against rare genetic diseases.
The global von Willebrand disease (VWD) treatment market is segmented on the following bases:
Type of von Willebrand disease (VWD)
- Type 1 VWD
- Type 2 VWD
- Type 3 VWD
Type of Therapeutic Treatment
- Desmopressin (DDAVP)
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Anti-Fibrinolytic/Clot-Stabilizing Drugs
- Fibrin Sealants
- Pipeline Analysis (Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III Clinical Trials)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- South-east Asia
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East and Africa
Key Players Identified for von Willebrand disease (VWD) Treatment Market Include but are Not Limited to:The key players in the market are CSL Behring, Ferring B.V., Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Octapharma AG, Grifols, Inc., Baxalta, and others.
This report offers:
- An overview of the global markets for von Willebrand disease treatment
- Market trends assessment for the period 2014-2022, with historical information for 2014 & 2015 and projections through 2022, with respective CAGRS during 2016-2022
- Qualitative assessment tools such as market drivers, challenges, and opportunities
- Market competition scrutiny tools such as market share analysis, fractal map assessment, Porter’s Five Forces model
- Focus on each level of market segmentation based on product approvals, launches, and current and anticipated market dynamics.
- A general overview of the industry structure
- Company profiles highlighting key information about the major players operating in the von Willebrand disease treatment market