Tropical diseases are infectious diseases that thrive in hot and humid climatic conditions which are suitable for the growth of microorganisms like parasites, fungi, bacteria, and viruses. The population of vectors like mosquitoes and insects, which transmit disease pathogens, also thrives. A large number of lives can be saved if they are diagnosed early, and medical interventions are taken accordingly.
The major factorial entities supporting the growth in demand for tropical disease diagnostics are the rise in the population of tropical countries, the increasing prevalence rate of neglected tropical diseases, access to healthcare services, and government intervention.
Tropical diseases have a high prevalence and incident rate in tropical countries due to the high population rate, poverty, and lack of sanitation and potable water. The increasing prevalence of neglected tropical diseases like Chagas disease and Schistosomiasis is a result of living in close contact with infectious vectors, domestic animals, and livestock.
Government agencies are investing in providing better diagnostic services and arranging healthcare campaigns at several healthcare centers in both urban and remote areas. A huge amount is also spent to provide better socio-economic services. The challenges in this scenario would be the limited number of trained healthcare professionals capable of diagnosing and interpreting tropical infectious diseases using techniques such as RT-PCR, immunoassay, hematology, and so on.
Patients in remote areas do not have access to tropical disease diagnosis and treatment. Restraints regarding the tropical disease diagnostic market are ambiguous reimbursement policies, a low illiteracy rate, and a lack of skilled personnel.
Poverty and gross negligence are the biggest hurdles as they lead to low disease awareness, where patients are unaware that diseases like tuberculosis, diphtheria, and hepatitis can be cured, and diseases like HIV, gonorrhea, and other sexually transmitted diseases can be safely monitored by early diagnosis.
In Asia-Pacific and the Middle East, there is a wide prevalence of tropical diseases. As disease awareness is high, patients undergo early diagnosis and treatment. Latin America and Africa are potential markets due to the high prevalence of tropical diseases. The unmet medical needs in remote areas can be captured as a potential market.
Manufacturers like Agilent Technologies, Becton Dickinson and Company, and Abbot Laboratories have come up with innovative diagnostic techniques like clinical flow cytometry, immunoassays, and rapid diagnostic assays that are helpful in the early diagnosis of life-threatening diseases like the Zika virus, Ebola, and swine flu, which require immediate medical intervention.
Beckman Coulter and Sysmex Corporation are involved in the development of hematology and blood banking devices that are helpful in the diagnosis and prevention of diseases like hepatitis, giardiasis, and other blood transfusion diseases. The latest trends in tropical disease diagnosis are immunochromatographic devices and real-time PCR, which are being optimized for better results.
The global tropical disease diagnostic market is classified as follows:
- Hemorrhagic fever (e.g., dengue)
- Typhoid, Giardiasis, Dysentery, and other enteric infections
- CNS infections (meningitis, neurocysticercosis)
- Infections caused by parasites (Hydatid, Schistosomiasis, Larva Migrans)
- Infections of the lungs (tuberculosis, legionellosis)
- Skin infections (Leishmaniasis, leprosy, and Lyme disease)
- Infectious diseases in general (Pyelonephritis, Pneumonia)
- Media and reagents
- Consumables and Accessories
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
Key players identified for the global tropical disease diagnostic market include:
The major players involved in the global tropical disease diagnostic market are Abbott Diagnostics, Agilent Technologies, Alere, Beckman Coulter, Inc./Danaher, Becton, Dickinson, and Company (BD), BioMérieux Inc., Bio-Rad Laboratories, Boditech Med Inc., Johnson & Johnson, Roche Diagnostics, Siemens Healthcare, and Sysmex Corporation.
This report offers the following:
- An overview of the global tropical disease diagnostic market.
- Market trends assessment for the period 2015-2025, including historical data for 2015 and 2016, as well as projections through 2025, with respective CAGRs from 2017 to 2025.
- Qualitative assessment tools such as market drivers, challenges, and future prospects
- Market competition examination tools such as market share analysis and fractal map evaluation
- Focus on each level of market segmentation based on product approvals, launches, and current and anticipated market dynamics.
- A general overview of the industry structure.
- Company profiles highlight key information about the major players operating in the global tropical disease diagnostic market.