The construction industry is heavily dependent on the right tools, and one of the major tools is a pile driver. A pile driver is a device that drives piles (poles) into the ground to add support to a foundation or a structure. The simplest method to drive a pile is to put a guided weight on the pile; due to the pile’s own weight and the guided weight, it is driven down. There are several machines and equipment which are employed for pile driving during construction. A diesel hammer is a type of pile comprising a large piston-cylinder arrangement that functions as a two-stroke diesel engine. This equipment initially drops in because of its own weight. This releases the diesel fuel; after every stroke of the piston, a drop of fuel is released, and it goes on. Some of the major drawbacks of diesel hammers are that they make excessive noise and generate thick smoke.
A hydraulic hammer is a technical replacement for a diesel hammer. These are utilized for massive construction projects onshore or offshore. It is useful for driving steel pipes and other heavy construction materials. It produces less noise and pollution as compared to a diesel hammer. To avoid the noise and vibrations produced by hydraulic and diesel hammers, a vibratory pile driver is used, particularly for bridge construction projects. The piling rig is a type of driving equipment used to build foundations and structures. It can be attached to the crawler chassis and is often utilized in construction and civil engineering projects, even for offshore oil platform jacket installation. The pile driving equipment is complex with multiple variations and forms one of the major pieces of equipment required at a construction site. Based on the equipment type segment, the hydraulic press-in was the market leader in 2017, followed by the hydraulic hammer. A similar trend is expected to be followed during the forecast period. The VTL systems also had a fair amount of market share in 2017.
The bored cast-in-situ piling type has the capability to cover more than 1000 m of piling work diameter and can achieve a depth of up to 80 m. This type was the largest stakeholder in the piling type segment in 2017 and was expected to lead the market during the forecast period in terms of share. The boom in the infrastructure and construction industries, particularly in the Asia Pacific and MEA regions, are major reasons for boring cast-in-situ types to lead the market.
Based on the geographical segment, the region with the largest market share of the pile-driving equipment market was Asia Pacific (APAC) in 2017. The boom in mega-construction and infrastructure projects being undertaken in the APAC region is the major driving factor for market growth. MEA is expected to follow after APAC on account of massive infrastructure development and oil and gas development in the GCC, South Africa, and other West African countries. North America and Europe are expected to have a moderate growth rate, and Latin America is also expected to witness a high growth rate during the forecast period.
The global pile-driving equipment market is segmented on the following basis:
Types of Equipment
- Diesel Hammer
- Vertical Travel Lead Systems
- Hydraulic Hammer
- Hydraulic Press-in
- Vibratory Pile Driver
- Piling Rig
- Bored Cast-in-Situ Piling
- driven cast-in-situ piling
- Auger Piles for Continuous Flight
- Others (such as plunge piles, pre-cast driven piles, impact-driven piles, and so on)
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of APAC
- rest of Latin America
MEA (Middle East and Africa)
Key players across the pile-driving equipment value chain are:
Bauer-Pelico, Inc., IHC Fundex Equipment BV, Changsha Tianwei Engineering Machinery Co., Ltd., Junttam Oy, Hammer and Steel, L&T Geostructure, Liebherr, Bruce Piling Equipment Co., Ltd., Dieseko Group B.V., American Pile Driving Equipment, Inc., Ashok Industries, and Soilmec North America, Inc.
This report offers the following:
- Assessment of market trends for the period 2016–2026
- Historical (past) information for 2016 and 2017 and projections from 2018 through 2026 with respective CAGRs for 2018–2026 considering 2017 as the base year
- Market drivers, restraints, future prospects, and competitive analysis (market positioning) of key market players
- Focus on each level of market segmentation that is primarily based on product approval, launch, and current and anticipated market dynamics.
- Overview of the industry structure
- Company profiling with major information about the key players operating pile-driving equipment
- Estimation of the market size in terms of value
- Top-down and bottom-up approaches have been utilized to estimate the size of the global market for pile-driving equipment.