Renewable methanol refers to a type of fuel produced from feedstock, such as municipal waste, industrial waste, biomass, and carbon dioxide. Renewable methanol finds application as fuel in transportation or as feedstock in chemicals. Renewable methanol produces low carbon emissions and can be blended with motor fuels to improve their octane numbers.
Growing energy demand from various sources, such as power, transportation, and manufacturing, and depleting fossil fuel reserves have driven the need to switch to alternative energy sources.
Moreover, growing concerns over emissions of greenhouse gases and favorable regulatory policies to the mandatory blending of 10% methanol in gasoline used in automobiles, especially in the U.S., Canada, and China, to promote the usage of renewable methanol, are expected to fuel the growth of the global renewable methanol market over the forecast period. Further, methanol’s properties, such as its high octane number as compared to normal gasoline, are another factor promoting the consumption of renewable methanol.
However, factors such as the lack of infrastructure for renewable methanol production and feedstock availability are expected to remain challenges in many regions, which in turn is expected to hamper the growth of the renewable methanol market during the forecast period (2016–2023).
Asia Pacific, especially China, is anticipated to be the largest market for renewable methanol in 2016, owing to increasing production in the region coupled with regulatory policies for mandatory blending in motor fuels. Followed by it, North America is expected to be the second-largest market for renewable methanol in 2016 due to
Favorable regulatory policies coupled with the availability of infrastructure in the region. Europe is projected to gain a significant revenue share in the global renewable methane market by 2023, owing to increasing production of renewable methanol and favorable regulatory policies such as the European Union’s renewable energy directives, which make the use of renewable methanol blending in fuels mandatory.
The leading players identified across the value chain of the renewable methanol market are focusing on backward integration across the value chain in order to eliminate the challenges of feedstock availability.
The global renewable methanol market is segmented on the following basis:
- Municipal Waste
- Industrial Waste
- Others (CO2)
- Power Generation
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
Key players identified across the value chain in the renewable methanol market include but are not limited to:
BioMCN, Blue Fuel Energy, Carbon Recycling International, Chemrec AB, VärmlandsMetanol, Methanex Corporation, Enerkemand others
This report offers the following:
- An overview of the global renewable methanol market
- Market trends assessment for the period 2016-2023, with historical information for 2013 and 2014 and projections through 2023, with respective CAGRs during 2016-2023 and 2015 as the base year
- Qualitative assessment tools such as market drivers, challenges, and future prospects, and competitive analysis: market positioning of key market players
- Focus on each level of market segmentation based on product approvals, launches, and current and anticipated market dynamics.
- A general overview of the industry structure
- Company profiles highlighting key information about the major players operating in the global renewable methanol market,
- This report includes an estimation of market sizes for value. Both top-down and bottom-up approaches have been used to estimate and validate the size of the global renewable methanol market.