Ultrasound contrast agents are used to perform or conduct contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) procedures. Microbubble contrast agents are small, spherical bubbles with three phases, such as the innermost gas phase, the shell material enclosing the gas phase, and the outermost gas or liquid phase. These microbubbles have the unique ability to respond to ultrasound, hence their use for ultrasound imaging and research. These bubbles improve the visualization of blood flow pertaining to the surrounding tissue. Microbubbles are micron-sized (smaller than one millimeter in diameter) particles consisting of a gas core surrounded by a lipid shell. On the other side, perfluorocarbons (PFCs) are fluorinated compounds used as contrast agents for ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The contrast agents, which contain liquid perfluorocarbons, are used in contrast-enhanced ultrasound procedures.
Technological advances in ultrasound technologies and the advantages of ultrasound over alternative technologies are majorly driving the demand for ultrasound contrast agents over the forecast period. Furthermore, a growing geriatric population, coupled with the rising prevalence of chronic diseases and rising demand for diagnostics and image-guided procedures, is expected to support market growth during the forecast period. Moreover, the presence of favorable government initiatives, promising reimbursement policies for contrast-enhanced procedures, and rising research activities related to enhancing imaging and diagnosis outcomes are likely to assist in the market’s growth.
Based on the therapeutic area, the cardiovascular diseases segment is expected to dominate the market from 2018 to 2026 owing to the extensive use of ultrasound contrast agents in echocardiography procedures and the increasing burden of stroke and heart attack. The presence of major market participants (suppliers and distributors), a sophisticated healthcare system, and comparatively higher adoption of advanced technologies are expected to put North America in the dominant position over the forecast period. Asia Pacific is anticipated to register a comparatively higher CAGR during the forecast period owing to its growing aging population base, rising prevalence of chronic diseases, and increasing healthcare spending.
The global ultrasound contrast agents market is classified as follows:
- Global Ultrasound Contrast Agents Market by Product (US$ Mn), 2016-2026
- Microbubbles and Contrast Agents
- Liquid Perfluorocarbon Nanoemulsion Contrast Agents
- Global Ultrasound Contrast Agents Market by Therapeutic Area (US$ Mn), 2016-2026
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Kidney Diseases
- Global Ultrasound Contrast Agents Market by Application (US$ Mn), 2016-2026
- Diagnostic Imaging Centers
- Academic and Research Centers
- Global Ultrasound Contrast Agents Market by Geography (US$ Mn), 2016-2026
Rest of Europe
- Asia-Pacific (APAC)
- Rest of APAC
Latin America (LATAM)
- Rest of LATAM
Middle East and Africa (MEA)
Key players identified in the global ultrasound contrast agents market include:
- GE Healthcare
- Lantheus Medical Imaging, Inc.
- Bracco Imaging S.p.A.
- Daiichi Sankyo Company, Limited
- nanoPET Pharma GmbH
- FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
This report offers the following:
- Comprehensive overview of the global ultrasound contrast agents market, including the current and future market dynamics.
- Elucidation of each market segment based on recent product approvals, launches, and current and anticipated market dynamics
- Company profiles and competitive landscape of the leaders operating in the ultrasound contrast agents market based on key products, operating business areas, financial analysis, and recent strategic developments